Monday, January 30, 2012

Jan. 20, 2012 - Genesis 20

…and there Abraham said of his wife Sarah, “She is my sister.”
Really? Again? There’s still this promise about Sarah having Abraham’s son, who will go on to be the head of a great nation and all that good stuff. I mean, Abraham was bold enough to question God and bargain over Sodom, but he still doesn’t have enough faith to hold God to his promise? Guess he is just a regular old messed up dude like the rest of us, with his own highs and lows…

On a sidenote, whatever exercise program, or diet, or natural supplement that Sarah is on seems to be working. Because even at 90, the first thing that happens when she enters town is that king sends for her. Bet you’d like to get your hands on that secret, eh?

“Lord , will you destroy an innocent nation?”
Hey look, Abraham’s pleading for mercy again. Oh wait. That’s not Abraham. That’s the king. Well how about that? Even though he doesn’t personally know the “LORD,” he still recognizes the “Lord” and begs for mercy. Just as Abraham pleaded for Sodom, because of its sin, now Abimelech pleads for his city, because of Abraham.

“I have done this with a clear conscience and clean hands.”
I don’t know about you, but this reminds me of a certain dude name Pilate, and how he’s going to ‘clean his hands’ of the whole Jesus deal, and try to make sure the blame doesn’t fall on him, just in case God happens to get upset about the crucifixion. Anyways, Abimelech here is going for the same thing, pleading his innocence in the matter, and as it happens, he actually has a solid case for himself.

“What have you done to us? How have I wronged you…What was your reason for doing this?”
“There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.”
Why have you done this to me? Well, I just didn’t think you loved God as much as I do, so I assumed you would just kill me. Again, Abraham blows his witness, and loses the chance to live by trusting in God’s promise, letting people notice how his life is different. Instead, he’s just a judgmental traveler who doesn’t trust anybody and always assumes the worst about everyone. Not to mention the guilt he brought on the kingdom.

“Besides, she really is my sister.”
Well technically I wasn’t actually lying, just deceiving you on purpose…

No comments:

Post a Comment