Monday, January 16, 2012

Jan. 15, 2012 - Genesis 15

I am your shield, your very great reward.
Just coming from Abram refusing a reward from the king of Sodom, and God shows up in a vision to be his reward.

Oh Sovereign LORD, what can you give me since I remain childless…
…a son coming from your own body will be your heir.
So, Abram is going to get a son. And it’s going to be an actual son from his own body. Cool. But Sarai is still barren. She’s not having a son. There’s got to be some solution, right?

Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.
Yay. Righteousness. Not because he was righteous, but because he believed, he got credit for being righteous.

…how can I know that I will gain possession of it?
He believed, and then asked “how can I know?” Obviously believing isn’t the same as just not having any questions. Which is a good thing. Because if you haven’t noticed, I have a lot of questions, and I answer most of them with “I don’t know.” Anyways, Abram brings some sacrifices, God works some sort of vision/trance something or other, tells him the future for the next few hundred years, and makes a covenant with some fire symbols and stuff. But in the end, he asked, God answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment